Mom and Dad did the turkey and ham, and lots of side dishes-corn casserole, mashed potatoes, green beans, potato soup, dressing, etc, desserts-apple pie, icebox lemon pie, and cookies. I contributed honey-glazed carrots, hot mexican spinach dip with chips, pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese icing and homemade mac-n-cheese! We had a good turn out, with 12 adults and 6 kids. And we were missing 4 adults and 2 more kids.
Phil and I got to get out and enjoy a nature walk around the ~90 acres that my family has there. It was good to get out and enjoy some peace and quiet for a little while, while our kids were napping back at the house.
We got back to the house around 3 and visited for a while. People slowly started leaving. I was just getting ready to eat some more for "dinner" when I smelled it. I thought, I hope that is in the distance somewhere, but then it got stronger, and quickly. Yup, it was a skunk! Turns out that my parents' dog, a Yorkie, who is not quite a country dog, cornered a skunk UNDER my parents' house and it sprayed her....all over her face!
Oh my! Have you ever smelled the spray of a skunk up close?!! Let me tell you that it is the most putrid smell ever! I really thought that I was going to be sick!! And since their dog got sprayed under their house, the smell was coming up through the floor of the living room! Ugh!!
So, those of us who hadn't left yet, high-tailed it out of there, but not soon enough to not be doused in the scent of skunk. When we got home, we all stripped off our clothes to our birthday suits, right inside the door, and washed them immediately. Then it was baths for everyone. I even had to take Julianna's infant carrier apart and wash every single part of it, and febreeze the foam in it.
Luckily the stench has now faded from most of our things (still working on our shoes though, since they can't be washed). But my poor parents! Their house still has a lingering stench. A rodent control guy came and set up traps to try and catch the skunk/s. I'm not sure if they've had any luck yet.
So we had quite a memorable Thanksgiving. Chase told all his teachers yesterday about the skunk that came to our Thanksgiving. When I asked him what they said about that, he said, "Eeewwww."
So, if we still smell like a skunk, please tell us!!
4 comments:
Great lake picture, Kristen!
We had this happen one year at my parent's too - only it was the middle of the night...awful awful stench and I was so tired that I couldn't get up but I kept waking from this horid smell. Apparently one sprayed somewhere nearby and they have a crawlspace under their house too - BLUCK! Sean remembers this to this day, only for a different reason than the smell. It scares him that something could get under their house - I had mom show him the crawlspace this time because ours obviously doesn't have that and he couldn't quite comprehend how a "thing" could be under someone's home, lol.
Glad y'all had a Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Oh. I am so familiar with that smell. My dogs would always get sprayed and bring it in the garage. YUCK!!!
How did those pumpkin muffins turn out?
I didn't get to eat any on Thanksgiving, but the day after I had one, and all I could taste was skunk smell. Yuck! So I made another batch and they were really good. Chase REALLY likes them!
Gross..I can't imagine eating skunk smelling stuff :)
Post a Comment