Now, let me back up. So we all know that Julianna was seen over the weekend at the dr's office with an ear infection and a "throat infection." They tried to put her on Omnicef, but she throws it up. So they put her (back) on Augmentin. Fast forward to last night.
I was getting Julianna ready for bed, at 7. I went to change her diaper and noticed red bumps in the creases of her legs. The further I looked, they were around her belly button, in her arm pit, on her elbows, wrists, knees, back,etc. I immediately thought that she had the chicken pox. I called my neighbor, Lisa, and my mom. They both came over to look. (Lisa, 37 wks pg, had kept my kids yesterday while I worked. Great!)
After perusing Julianna for a while, some of us thought that it was the chicken pox, others an allergic reaction.....to her antibiotics possibly?
After the calling the after hrs nurse and determining that it was safe for me to put her to bed, I did. She slept until 11 and then was very fussy, and not happy, or comfortable. She was rubbing and rubbing on her ears. When I looked, the were very red and very swollen. Then I noticed spots on her face, that weren't there before. I called the nurse back and she said that I needed to take her in, to the ER. (Says that don't recommend giving Benadryl to infants, so I couldn't just do that from home.)
I packed her up, and bundled us both us, for a trip to the ER. Phil, who is very sick with maybe the flu, obviously stayed home with Chase. We got to the ER at 1 am and luckily there was no one else in the waiting room (good thing about living in the suburbs!).
They looked her over and determined that she was allergic to her antibiotics and said to stop taking them. And her ears were clear. They then gave her some Benadryl!!! and sent us home!! That sure was one expensive dose of Benadryl.
So, anyway, we got home at 3 am (I have yet to be asleep since the night before). Luckily Julianna was out like a light from the medicine and the long, warm car ride home. I put her right to bed and was able to get 4 hrs of sleep before she woke up again.
She was actually worse when she woke up. More spots on her face and her face appeared more puffy in general. So I called the nurse back and she told me to immediately give her more Benadryl and get to the pediatrician's office as soon as I could. So I call my neighbor, Lisa. She comes to get Chase and (feed him, dress him, etc.) take him to preschool for me. I call my boss and tell her that it doesn't look like I'll be making it in today.
At the dr's office, the dr isn't freaking out about her at all. He just says that it probably is an allergic reaction to any penicillin drug and that we will avoid those in the future. (So, no Omnicef, no amoxicillin, no augmentin....) He says that there aren't many other antibiotics left, but that the next time she gets an infection, we will just have to look at what will treat that infections best, outside of the above meds.
She is now hopefully taking a nap, with her huge, red, welts all over her face and body. My poor, sweet Ju-Ju! She just can't catch a break. As for me, I'm going to try and catch a nap also!
8 comments:
Kristen - this happened to my sister-in-law Jill and her new baby a couple weeks ago. Jill was put on antibiotics and broke out very much like Julianna (all over) and then a few days later, Lorelye had the same rash (guess she contracted the antibiotic through breastmilk and was allergic as well?).
Yeah, it actually happened to me when Julianna was first born and I got Mastitis. They put me on antibiotics and I broke out, but she never did. We watched for it though.
I bet that it was scary for your SIL to have her newborn break out!!
Poor Julianna! I hope that for Christmas, she gets a long period of being well. She deserves at least a year of being completely illness-free at this point. I hope that Julianna and Phil get well soon and that you and Chase don't get sick.
Man! I hope everyone feels better soon and Julianna's spots ease up, that doesn't look comfortable.
Oh my goodness. It was worse than I imagined when we talked on the phone. I hope she gets to feeling better soon (Phil, too!)
By the way, I met my deductible before Ella's birth. It has been lovely ever since. I feel like I get free medical care :) Especially came in handy after TWO surgeries. Too bad we start over again in a couple of weeks.
Oh. my. gosh! Poor, poor baby! I hope she gets to feeling better really soon. And that you get some sleep!
Oh, that's awful!
I know you'll be glad to get her off meds! It's all so tiring. Someone in our family has been sick since before Halloween, consistently. I keep thinking, am I not cleaning good enough? LOL, what's the deal? Maybe our family members just like to share a little too much, ha. We all need to be in isolation for awhile.
I know you are ready to have all this over with and hopefully enjoy healthy holidays!!!
Oh Kristen! Her reaction looks so violently horrible! I hope she wasn't too uncomfortable. I just feel so bad for her! You sounded very calm in your post but if I had seen that I would have freaked out:) Yikes. Hope she's spot free soon, poor little baby. Get some rest and get well to Phil too!
Post a Comment