Tuesday, August 04, 2009

"Awww Duuu"

We have been working hard these past 3 months, since her 15 month check-up, to increase Julianna's expressive language. We haven't really made much progress, although we've done our best to provide a language-rich environment for her. She will imitate some animals sounds now and even say the sounds when you ask her, "What does a cow say?". But she never just looks at a cow and says, "Mmmooo." And that my friends is language, actually using a word/sound for something, not just imitating the word/sound. We're trying to get her to make that step, but she's just not there.

So, we are looking into getting her evaluated for speech therapy, which is so ironic, but we won't even go there. I'm also going to get her hearing tested, next week hopefully. She's been putting her fingers in her ears a lot lately and then last night she put them in her ears and then in my ears as if to tell me, "It hurts right here Mommy." So we're going back to the ENT Monday just to get them checked out. It's probably that her tubes are falling out. I'm going to inquire about the hearing test then, b/c they do them in their office.

Then we're going to see, my wonderful friend Kate, who works downtown at the UT Harwood Center with children with speech delays, so she is going to evaluate Julianna on Tuesday. It'll be interesting being on the other side of that process. I hope Julianna cooperates! If she is significantly delayed, then I'll ask the pediatrician for an order for Speech Therapy. Luckily she qualifies for Tennnessee Early Intervention, which is free services until children are three. And they should come to our house, so great! This is the kind of work that I did when I lived in Knoxville and I loved it!

So why don't I just do the therapy myself? Well, I'll get to that if she indeed needs it.

So, right now she only has one word, "Dada", which she's had since about the time she was one. She will imitate about 5 animals sounds, but other than that, that's all she says. And she doesn't even really babble. Strange. So you can imagine how happy we were to hear her SAY "All Done" when prompted to after dinner! Now, she will only say it if you say it first, but still, it's a start! She's been doing the sign for "All Done" for a while now, but now I'm being more strict with her and making her say something with her signs now.

Check it out- this was Monday night.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Awesome! Putting words together now - that's great!!! Funny most of our talking happens around the dinner table too, lol. Just a few days ago I was trying to video tape Ben after dinner. I've yet to upload it to see what all I got (half the time he would try to grab the camera and I couldn't catch him talking), but it's funny how much they will imitate when they hear us all at dinner.

Since she can imitate the words now maybe it's just going to take a little time to make the cognitive connection. Now that she's said "aww done" a few times she might start recognizing when it's appropriate and saying it on her own after a meal. Hope she surprises you like this!

Ben also sticks his fingers in his ears and ours - maybe she's looking for the name of them? That's what Ben does now to see what somethign is called. The hard part is when he's saying "eye" and coming right at us! Ack - that's when we grab the baby doll and tell him to find the baby's eyes. But he also will stick his fingers in his ears in the car, at dinner, or just at play sometimes. John says he's just listening to the sound difference - who knows.

Sarah said...

I wouldn't worry about the lack of words. Each child is so different. At Jacob's 2 year check up (and he was 26 months old), Jacob said <5 "words" and the doctor was wanting to send him to a specialist. I waited and within a few months he started talking and now he doesn't stop!

Other times there are truly issues, but you are very aware of her development and you'll know when there is something that needs further help.

She is beautiful!

kristen said...

Well Sarah, there actually are reasons to have children in speech therapy by the time they are 2 if they have a delay...or else we wouldn't have jobs,lol. Children with speech/language delays are predicted to have further difficulties in school, especially in reading and language. That is why a child who is not on target (or even NEAR target in Julianna's case) should be evaluated and treated to hopefully offset any future difficulty.

Here's some info that I found-
"It has been long held that children with speech sound disorder (SSD) have poorer outcomes in reading ability (reading disability, RD). In fact, research suggests that SSD and reading disabilities have a comorbidity rate of 25-30%." It goes on to say that children who have a speech sound delay and a language delay will have a 66% chance of having reading delays, esp. with phonology and language.

So you can see why I want to get her therapy if she needs it and not just waiting for her to talk.

Oh, and Andrea, unfortunately "all done" doesn't count as putting words together. :( Just like bye-bye isn't 2 words either. But I'll know that she'll get there.

My mom took her to the grocery store Sunday and I seriously almost called her when she left and told her not to forget Julianna in the car (b/c she would just sit there quietly.), but I didn't. When my mom got back she said that Julianna is the kind of kid you could leave in the car accidentally b/c she is SO quiet. She seriously doesn't make any noises, even when she's the only kid around. Those kind of things just don't sound right to me. Andrea, I bet you'd never forget Ben in the car would ya?! He probably jabbers the whole way!

Andrea said...

ha, screams is more like it! Yesterday I'm driving back from returning something in the wolfchase area and I stopped at DQ to get the kids a dilly bar through the drive-up. I pass them back (not even thinking about giving Ben one, obviously he couldn't eat that in the car) and he screams the most ear-piercing painful scream, "CHOCOLATE!!!!!" The kids thought it was funny but it was actually painful to me, and I felt my ear drums vibrate like someone had blown air hard right into my ears. After this he shrill screamed off and on until we got home, so yeah no forgetting that one. But I'd say that has more to do with his temperament. He does have a bit of a temper. We need to get the kids together to play sometime - maybe they can rub off on each other, Ben share some words, JuJu share her nice, quiet disposition!

The Arnold Family said...

Hey Ya know, it's craZy she's started pulling on her little ears again poor baby. Haley had her's done between 1 1/2 to 2 years old and both came out this summer, Thankfully no ear infections, knock on wood. But that her's lasted years and not less than a year.. I hope JuJu's tubes are still in, Haley had one massive ear infection after they were put in but no more. Keep us updated! And Good Luck!