Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"This is Men's Work"

Around Chase having a fever all weekend, he helped Phil with some chores. They washed and detailed both the cars. Then they sharpened the blades on the lawnmower and edger. Phil even edged the yard just to see how it did. (And we have a big yard, so that was not a quick thing to do.) They cleaned out the air filters on all the lawn equipment and changed some spark plugs.

Then Phil started work on a new shoe storage bench for us for our back entryway. I really wish that our back entryway was bigger for a nice hutch-type thing with hooks, a storage bench, etc., but it just isn't. So we make due with what space we have.

Previously we had a storage ottoman by the back door. The cushioned lid opened up and we just threw all our shoes in there. Well, with soon to be 5 people storing their shoes in there, we needed to expand. So Phil set out to build us a shoe storage shelving system, but still with a bench on top so we can sit down to put our shoes on.

Well, Julianna really wanted to come out into the garage and help the boys. She sat in doorway for awhile and just watched and then she started down the stairs. Chase caught sight of her embarking on his territory and said to her, "JuJu, no, stay out. This is men's work." I have no idea where he got that notion, that she couldn't help b/c she was a girl! For a minute I felt like I was having flashbacks to the Cosby Show and Sonya's husband who wouldn't let women do anything (yeah, I watched way too much tv, I know!).

But the new shoe storage system is compete and the bench is sturdy, so that is good! I may end up putting a curtain on it to keep one little girl who LOVES to carry shoes around with her all day out of it, but other than that, it is complete!

Phil's (and Chase's I guess :) next project is building wooden puzzle racks! Yea! That is something that I've been wanting and needing for a while, but never want to spend the money on. He can make them for so much cheaper! Love my handy man...and boy....and princess.

3 comments:

Amrine Jrs. said...

Great job Phil and Chase. I've been looking at those wood puzzle storage things too and I've found the Target brand is WAY cheaper than the ones online or in specialty stores (only other places I've even seen them). I want to say it's like $10 and it even comes with puzzles but I could have the price wrong. Anyway, just something to think about - I know it's probably still cheaper to make them but if your Target carries them and you haven't seen them yet, check it out.

Amrine Jrs. said...

Those are in the same section as those Target brand railroad tracks I was telling you about a few weeks ago. :) Can you tell where I shop??

kristen said...

I've seen those at Target before, but we already have some or all of the puzzles in those racks, so I hated to buy it and have 2 of each puzzle (or 3 b/c i need 2 racks). But yes, it is MUCH cheaper to make. He bought like a 6 foot piece of plywood for $6.50 and he already has the wood that he'll use for the sides and back.