Thursday, October 01, 2009

23 Weeks

Wow! It's been a while since I've taken my picture...and the belly is growing! I had my OB appt today and I've gained 5 lbs this month. Yikes! My BP was good and the baby's heartbeat was good too.

I had to see another dr today b/c mine had gone to break someone's water. I totally understand that, so I gladly saw another dr. It is determined that I already have a clogged milk duct...and the baby's not even here yet! She said to do the same thing that I did the whole time I was nursing Julianna and had clogged milk ducts and Mastitis, warm compress and massage. She also said that since I'm already having trouble with this duct, that I'll probably have issues with nursing this baby, just like with Julianna, great! She did say that there is a group of dr's here who specialize in breast health and that I might benefit from seeing them. She said that they may end up needing to cut into the duct. Lovely! But, I'd rather get all issues resolved before the baby comes than deal with Mastitis and clogged milk ducts for over a year, like I did with Julianna.

We also discussed flu vaccines and H1N1 vaccines. She definitely said that I should get them, even if Phil had the Swine Flu, I should still get one. She was very dismissive of any hesitations I had about the vaccines and said a little bit of mercury that the vaccines contain is less than I'm exposed to on a daily basis just in the environment. Hum. Well, that may or may not be true, but if those vaccines come in lose does or mercury free, I'll take them in those forms. If we didn't have a new baby coming in the winter time, I probably wouldn't even be considering them. But these vaccines will not only give me immunity to these illnesses, but also give the baby immunity. I think I'll definitely get the mercury free flu vaccine, but I'm still not sure about the H1N1.

I also asked her about increasing my vitamin intake with supplements to increase my immunity during this flu season and she was very dismissive of that too. I have a list of supplements from a dr friend who specializes in natural medicine that I'm gonna do a post on, so I'll post them there.

In 4 weeks I go back and do my glucose test, which hopefully will be fine, like the last 2 pregnancies. I'll do that right before Halloween.

Other than that, I'm still trying to think of baby names. Anybody got any good ideas?

6 comments:

Andrea said...

My OB office was like that too - Memphis is really behind when it comes to medical practices. Everyone I know who moves here from other parts of the country, are always shocked that there aren't dulas. I didn't even know what one was! ha! But apparently there are much better survival rates and healthier vaginal births for both mom and baby when a doula is involved. They tend to the mom more closely and know what supplements you are using, etc. - very up on natural paths versus medicinal interventions - and the proof is in the pudding as the say :) Babies born from doulas better off than those born by traditional OBs/hospital routines.

I've heard Nashville and Knoxville have some pretty awesome establishments that really are in tuned with mom's body, her nutritional needs, etc. throughout the pregancy (not that that helps here, lol).

I sure hope you don't have to deal with the breast issues again - you should be rewarded for breastfeeding as long as you did with all the complications! That takes a lot of strength - something to be proud of that you continued with it!

You look great! And...almost halfway through!!!!!

Anonymous said...

My question with the H1N1 isn't necessarily the mercury but also the viral part too. It's a combo of different viruses from what I have read and I don't know they can say they for sure know the long term effects when a baby is exposed to them in utero. It's a tough decision, that is for sure...especially when you speak to different people that have strong feelings about either side!

Not encouraging supplements is one frustrating part I think about a regular MD. But I do feel safer with their overall medical knowledge (and the way they give out an epidural) so that is why I have always gone to one over a midwife! :) Bottomline, there is just a wealth of info out there and it's just up to the patient to get digging! :)

Cecilia said...

What is Dr. Newman saying about H1N1 for the kids? Dr. Mitchell said Lexi and Lyla should get it but I'm so nervous due to the neurological complications back in the 70's. I'm just curious if all of peds east has the same opinion or not. You look awesome by the way. If my girls were boys, I wanted to name one of them Jacob but right now if I had a boy I'd want to name him Lucas ;)

kristen said...

Yeah Willow, I totally agree about the viral part of the H1N1 too. I really think we may ride out the season this year with no vaccines, but having a baby in Jan makes me question that.

Cecilia, I didn't really ask Dr. Newman about what he thought about the vaccine, b/c I hadn't really weighed the pros and cons at that point. He just said that they could come in and get them when they were in. He wants to see her back in November for a 21 mo appt (which in not typical), so I'll ask him about it then. But they'll probably be out of them by then anyway,lol.

Since you are a pharmacist, what are your thoughts on the H1N1 for adults, or pg adults at that?

Leslie said...

Look how cute you look! I hate that you are already having milk duct problems

Just not Junior ;)

kristen said...

Don't worry, it definitely won't be Junior!! Chase is already calling him Junior too, so we've got to pick a name before Junior starts to stick. :)