Friday, February 26, 2010

5 Weeks- Moving Out

Parker is coming into his own these days, and we have even better of a groove going this week than last. I'm being very diligent about his bedtime and bedtime routine. He really likes baths and they seem to relax him, so he gets a bath every night around 6:30pm. I didn't do nightly baths with either of my other kids, but if this is what it takes for him to sleep well at night, then I'm all for it!



He nurses after bath and then gets "rocked" to sleep. I have rocked in quotes b/c he prefers to be walked around the room with an exaggerated bouncing motion, like in the womb. He also usually likes his paci at this time, but doesn't always keep it until I put him in the bed. He gets tired of it, but it definitely calms him down.

Pictures like this always look sideways, but he was lying down. Sorry, you'll have to turn your head I guess.


He's been going down at 7pm and I've been waking him up at 11 or 11:30pm to eat. He will then sleep until about 3 or 4 before nursing again. He then gets up at 7ish, nurses and goes back down until about 10 or 11. At what age am I safe to stop waking him up at 11?



I love having a schedule and something that I feel I can predict. I thrive on schedules (and lists) and predictability, so I'm much happier these days that I know we have a schedule. I'm trying to get brave enough to not wake him up at 11pm. I tried it a few weeks ago and he got up at like 12:30am, about 45 mins after I had gone to sleep. Not cool.

This is what he used to look like a lot during the day (and night). The crying is getting less and less, thank goodness!


Parker is a grunter, if I haven't said that before, therefore he moved into our closet last night. I slept so much better without hearing his every little grunt. We don't have any other bedrooms on the same floor as ours, so the closet will have to do until he starts sleeping through the night, or pretty close to it anyway.

Look how long I am! We think he's gonna be our tall boy.

Parker is getting so big so fast! Last week he was 9lbs on my scale, this week he was 10.5 lbs! I can also tell he's getting longer b/c his feet not hit the arm rest of the rocking chair that I nurse him in. That didn't happen last week.

Best picture I have gotten so far of the thumb sucking.


The more his face fills out, the more he looks like Chase did as a baby. Since Chase came out at 8 lbs 7oz, he was a much chubbier baby than either of my other two.



He's starting to suck his right thumb and sometimes he sucks on his right fist. He's also now able to track objects visually.


Fist bumping Daddy


I think he looks just like Chase as a baby here.


Which baby is this??


And this?? They are both Chase. Parker's has chicken legs. I guess that's one way I'll always be able to tell them apart, lol.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Glad your nights are more sorted:) I think it's a smart idea to nurse him at 11 before you go to bed. I've heard it called "dream nursing" or something like that where you just wake them enough to latch on, nurse, and settle them back in to avoid the inevitable waking that happens 20 minutes after YOU fall asleep.

He seems young to go more than 4-6 hours w/out nursing. My concern would be milk supply and keeping your period at bay. Also, keeping him sleeping soundly is a huge plus too. If you are supplementing or not concerned about fertility, I would still think he'd need to nurse every 4-6 hours until he was a few months old. Remember some crazy male pediatrician decided sleeping through the night for infants was only about 6 hours:)

You have a good deal going!

Leslie said...

Yeah! I knew they were both Chase!

I was laughing while reading your posts b/c so many of the things that you said (e.g., needing a schedule, organization) were the exact things you tried to convince me were difficult with a baby.

kristen said...

Yes, Leslie, I know what you mean. But I'm not regulating him, he's doing it himself. I just like that when he cries 1 1/2 after nursing now, I know that he's not hungry, it's something else. That kind of thing.

Brenda, yes ever since you wrote this, I've still been waking him at 11, but doing it less, only enough to get him to latch on- like you said, and he goes down so much easier after it! Thanks for that tip! My other kids always just nursed to sleep, but Parker doesn't usually do that. So I might spend 30 minutes nursing him and then 30 min trying to get him back to sleep. That's a long time to be awake in the middle of the night. Then I was only getting about 1 1/2 hrs of sleep before he would wake up again.

And no, I'm not supplementing, but I sure am concerned about fertility, lol! I would like to keep my period at bay for as long as possible. It usually came back with the other 2 when they were 9 months old or so, even tho I was still nursing.