Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Ice Storm 2010


Well, I will always remember Parker's first week of life as an interesting one. He turned one week old last Thursday and on Friday we had an ice storm. We lost power Friday night, as we were putting the older 2 kids to bed, so 7 pm, and it didn't come back on until about 9 am the next morning. I think the low that night was in the low 20's, but with ice outside your windows, it felt really cold in our house that had no heat!

Parker and I slept on the floor, right in front of the fire place. I really thought that I would get hot, but trust me, I did not. Since the kids were already in bed, we left them there. Chase woke up at 3 am, screaming for Phil b/c he was afraid of the pitch black. We decided that if Julianna was sleeping, to just let her sleep. I really didn't think that she would lay down and sleep on the floor with me, especially with Parker crying and up several times during the night.

I ended up checking on JuJu at 7:30 in the morning and she was sitting in her bed with this worried look on her face and saying, "All done. All done." over and over again. She was soaking wet (from her diaper leaking) and freezing! Her feet were frozen and she actually had a hard time walking when I got her out of bed. Poor baby!

But we were sooo happy when the lights came on not long after we woke up and got busy heating up the house and thawing out. We then got a call from my parents saying that their electricity had gone out during the night and they needed to come over and shower....and thaw out b/c they had to get to the airport to pick up company who was coming in town for the whole week to stay at their house. Well, long story short, my parents, their dog and their company (my great aunt and cousin) ended up staying at our house all week due to them having no electricity and then having a pipe burst! We all just felt badly for the other for the circumstances, but I was happy to be able to share our heat and lights with them! We have had people sleeping in every nook and cranny since Saturday. And now Phil's parents arrive tomorrow! It does feel at time that we are running hotel, or B&B. :)

Here's what we were left with outside on Saturday morning. We still have snow and ice on roofs around here and lots of tree damage.







Enjoying icicles!

Passing the time stuck inside with some Christmas presents that I had tucked away for a day just like this!

Chase loved painting and JuJu joined in too. Phil said that JuJu has my creativity- she was painting straight lines, lol. Chase is painting a playground in both of these pictures.

And this was JuJu by 11 am. Apparently she didn't sleep very well that night, since she was so wet and cold. Needless to say, she took a really good nap (in her bed, after we picked her up off the kitchen floor. :)

We are very ready for spring around here and each day I check the forecast, hopeful for the glimpse of warmer temps on the horizon, but not yet.

No comments: