I had to work on Saturday, so Phil took her to the doctor. She has another ear infection, and this time also a "throat infection". Now what that is, I don't exactly know. That is just the report I got from Phil. Of course, it concerns us, but the Saturday doctor who saw her didn't really give it a second thought (about her previous staph infection in her tonsils and lymph node).
I will call her regular pediatrician tomorrow and let him know that she is sick and see if he wants to see her, or should the ENT see this "throat infection".
As for Julianna, she is pitiful. Phil said that all he could do yesterday was hold her. If he put her on the floor to play she would just look up at him and whimper. She was still up 4 times last night and didn't wake up with a smile on her face. She did play on the floor for a little while though.
Her weight is a little concerning to me. She weighed 17 lbs 10 oz. yesterday, which is less than she weighed 2 months ago (17 lbs 12 oz). So, not only has she not gained weight in the last 2 months, but she has lost a little.
Please keep our precious little girl in your prayers. She has been pretty sick these first 9 months of her life. Luckily this time we knew which antibiotic to ask for, so she is not throwing it up like last time!
11 comments:
Poor thing - yeah the weight issue would bother me too. Sometimes Ben even seems small to me when I see other babies his age.
How is eating going? Is she eating meats pretty well? Upping her iron intake with some veal or beef? Good zinc (immune building) in the chicken. I just started Ben on the liquid vitamins (sneaking it in his morning cereal/fruit). Would she take an extra meal if you added one more in to see how that helps?
I think the probiotics like someone mentioned on facebook is a great idea. Brenda knows more about those if she reads this, hopefully she can give some info on that, as far as helping restore good bacteria to Ju-ju's system (esp. after all the antibiotics she's been on). My sister is really into them too.
Maybe the throat infection is viral or just infected from drainage she's been experiencing?
Ok, here's some brainstorming thoughts: Introduced anything different in the home, like fragranced oil plug-ins? new chemical cleaners? new carpeting? paint? I ask this because I remember when we got new carpets in one of our homes, my throat burned something awful for 2 weeks everday. It looked infected the drs said but was raw not like strep, and I mentioned it started when we got new carpets. They told me there is something like formyldahide (sp?) in new carpets that some people are very sensitive too and to air out our home. After about a week of this the burning went away. When we sold our home, we had two different people call asking to look at it but said to please make sure any plug-ins were out because their clients have throat reactions and migranes to the scents...sounded weird to me then (4 yrs ago), but I've actually heard of that more since then. Of course allergies comes to mind too, too bad she's too young to be tested for those yet, at least you'd know what triggers to avoid.
Hope she's back feeling better soon!
Poor Ju-Ju! She is in my prayers!
A throat infection? Wow, that's not too generic is it:) I hope she's better soon and it passes quickly.
Andrea, you nut, you know I'm reading this! Kristen, probiotics are AWESOME and safe for kids/babies and breastfeeding moms. So you can take them and give to her. It's been a while since I saw them in liquid form at Wild Oats but I bet they have them. They have to be stored in the fridge. Or there are some in powder form you can mix in or put under her tongue.
Bottom line, when the antibiotics work, they work great. But they kill off all her good bacteria that helps her have nice/good poops and digest and prevent yeast issues. She can take them everyday for a week and you'll notice a huge difference in her poop, for one. She may be gassy if she takes them but that is normal. It's the yeast dying off. The Probiotics feed on all the yucky stuff in her gut.
I use them to help with my blood sugar issues. I was noticing that every month like clockwork I was getting a yeast infection, killer ones! I wasn't regular in the bathroom department at all either. They correct so much I love them! If you want to get some, Walmart or Target has the acidophilus pearls and Walgreens has Culturelle.
Gee, I wrote a lot. Can you tell I'm passionate about PB's? maybe I could get a sponsorship...
Sweet little girl - I'll keep her (and you!) in prayers. Sometimes I think it's worse on the parent!
Let's catch up soon - I miss you guys!
Andrea-She seems to be eating well. I have noticed in the last couple of days that it takes FOREVER for her to eat a meal, so maybe her throat is hurting, but she gets it all down, eventually.
I could try feeding her snacks throughout the day. I haven't been doing this b/c she is usually asleep right up until a meal time.
I'm wondering if they'll tell me to start supplementing, but thing is, breastmilk or formula, she doesn't really take a BOTTLE very well. So not sure if that would help with my problem. I could some formula in a cup though (she's still not 100% with the cup).
We haven't introduced anything new into the home, that I can think of anyway. (I wish we had some new carpet and paint!!) And it would have to be something since she was 5 mos old I guess, since that was when the first infection was. I do always wonder about our dog though, if he could be a carrier for something (I know that some dogs carry strep).
I am trying to push Phil for a housekeeper again, at least one a month, to help with the deep cleaning,since I am working so much these days.So far, he says no.
As for the probiotics-I had just bought some Keifer drinks for Chase (a probiotic in the organic section of Kroger), but he doesn' like them. He's been on antibiotics for 6 or 7 wks.
I had been wondering how to give them to Julianna, so those capsules sound like the ticket. Brenda, you just open them up and pour them in her food? How much and how often?
Thanks girls for all the well wishes and comments/suggestions. Hopefully we'll get this girl wells soon!
Kristen -
I am praying for JuJu and hope she gets better very soon. We carry the powder form of probiotics, so let me know if you want to try a 10-14 day sample. Yes, you just cut open the pixie stick like package and shake it onto your food. The kind we have tastes a little like fruit, but if you mix it into anything you cannot taste it.
Let me know how you want to handle Thursday and Friday too. Would it be better for her to be at her house, or do you want to try another house (where Sadler is not)? Just let me know.
I'm sorry that she is sick again. We are at our second go around of colds this month and Hudson had a fever for two days and it is so hard seeing a pathetic little baby who doesn't feel well and adding to it that you have to constantly hold them. Hudson is just a bit heavy at 26 lbs on my hip all day :)
Kinda random but when I was pregnant I got the WORST sore throat and of course was concerned to take even a throat lozenge. I never get strep by the way - only sore throats that you have to "wait out". :) The nurse told me that pregnancy can increase "nasal drip" I think she called it. So all the gunk running down my throat was irritating it.
I imagine that could be very similar to kiddos since they never blow their nose. It either comes out or goes back down. So maybe her throat is just inflamed from that.
Smoothies are a great option for getting kiddos to eat better or sneaking in something they might not like. I pack mine full of spinach and Hudson chugs it! Also can put in yogurt and stuff too and that is probably a good source of good bacteria since she's been on so many antibiotics. :)
Oh and if she doesn't take a bottle well have you tried a straw cup? My girls always did better with straws first. Maybe cuz once they "get it" it comes out faster.
I actually just thought about trying a straw cup with her this morning. She drank really well out of Chase's sippy cup yesterday, but wouldn't suck on the (new) one that I gave her today. She will kinda drink from the original one that I've given her from the beginning, but it's so messy, since it doesn't have a valve. I will try the straw cup with her though.
She still really isn't nursing much. She nursed at 5:30 this morning (waaayy early for either of us) and then just nipped a few time since then. It's now 3:15! She has to need some milk!
I do wonder if her throat hurts or if her ears still hurt. I'm gonna bring some tongue depressors home from work tomorrow and check out her throat myself!
Hey Kristen, I think it's impossible to OD on probiotics. If you did, you might have the runs or lots of gas. But otherwise, it's very safe. I would just half a tablet or the dose for an adult once a day. AFter a week, you'll notice more consistent poops and maybe a gassy Ju ju but that just means it's working! YOur friend Lisa that commented sounds like she's got the hookup. Whole foods used to have a refriderated section with liquid PB's that tasted like apple juice. I used to drink it right out of the bottle. Hope you get some.
She is absolutly the cutest little girl, and still smiling when her doesn't feel good. You love on her for me:-) I hope she gets better real soon! Miss you all
Post a Comment