Wednesday, October 07, 2009

I Love It When They 'Get It'!

Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
(Proverbs 22:6 ESV)



Chase has some really good teachers in his 3/4 yr old room at church. One lady, Mrs. Mary Lou really loves those kids (she's a retired teacher) and does a great job with them. She was his teacher this Sunday. Each week they do their lesson, craft, related snack, singing, etc. and send home a paper with info about their lesson, the Bible verse, questions to ask your child, etc.

Sunday's lesson was about sharing, from Genesis 39:2-43:34. It is the story about Joseph sharing with his brothers and the children discussed ways they could share with others. Chase is always really good about answering the questions pertaining to the lesson afterward. Since we all ride to and from church together, it gives me time in the car, before we get home and the lunch frenzy starts, to go over what he learned. So I always read his lesson back to him, ask him questions, go over the Bible verse, etc. in the car.

He told me that Joseph shared his grain with his brothers and told me that he always shares, lol. He said that he likes to share, which a Mommy loves to hear!

After going over his lesson, I told him about a mission opportunity through our church next Sunday. We are partner churches with another church in the inner city of Memphis and next Sunday we are going to have lunch with them after church and take some much needed supplies to them. We were given a list today of some specific food items that they need and I told him that we would go door-to-door this week and collect these items from our neighbors and then buy some ourselves to give to the church next Sunday. And then he said, " That would be sharing Mommy! We will share our food with them and they will share their church with us while we are eating lunch there!" He was so elated to have made that connection and I was so blessed to see him make that connection. I tell you what, don't underestimate your kids!

This opportunity is wonderful because I have been looking for some type of mission work for our whole family to do, so this is the perfect thing for us. Chase will get to see it come full circle next week.

I have also been wanting to do this to collect for our local food pantry, so whatever food we get that isn't on the church's list, we will take to the food pantry.

So, today it finally stopped raining and we hit the streets!

Chase taking a water break while holding all the canned goods so far. One lady said, "Oh, I see Macaroni and Cheese is on your list." And Chase said, "No, we need canned goods." :)

Daddy did the hard work and I was the sales girl. I kept hoping that Chase would want to get out of the wagon and come to the door with me, but no. But Julianna did. She's the one who isn't afraid of anything.

Here's our gatherings so far. We only made it to 4 houses today, plus Mimi's contribution. If it's pretty tomorrow, we'll hit some more houses. Then we are making our contribution on Friday (aka pay day).

3 comments:

Amrine Jrs. said...

I emailed my friend to find out the name of her church since I coudn't find it listed on her facebook anywhere. I know she's told me before but I forgot to ask yall. Their names are Brian (he goes by BC) and Stephanie Chamberlain. All I know about it so far is it's an inner city church in Memphis. They are wonderful people with three small children (oldest is 6 and youngest is a few months old). I will definitely let you know when I hear back from her.

Anonymous said...

I love this Kristen. I was reading your part and then when I scrolled down and saw the photos I got a huge catch in my throat. That is so precious for your whole family to take the time to go out and do this. Cathedral of Faith is a blessing and they are also blessed! Thanks!

Andrea said...

Mary Lou IS fabulous!

Yep, these are the things Chase will remember - good job setting the foundation now!