I write this next part mainly for my aging memory, but you all are welcome to read it as well, lol.
The day of his birth didn't go as planned, but at least it was still a safe delivery and we had a healthy baby. We had to be at the hospital at 4:30am so that I could get my 4 hrs of antibiotics in before they started the pitocin. Well, my doctor and I forgot to discuss my recently developed allergy penicillin, so the nurses at the hospital were left with a decision to make, along with the on call doctor. They decided to give me Vancomycin, which only needed to hang for one hour, instead of four! Great! They'd be able to start my pitocin even earlier and we'd be able to meet this little guy sooner! I was so excited!!
So we started off with a delay, but with only needing an antibiotic for one hour instead of four, we'd still be earlier than scheduled. So at 6:30am they started the Vancomycin. About 20 minutes later my head started itching like crazy!! I wanted to scratch it off!! The nurse came in and I asked her if that was a side effect of the medicine and she said that I might also be allergic to that one! She said that if I could stand it, to go ahead and let it run for the full hour, or else I'd have to start all over with another antibiotic. Well, what mother wants to wait any longer to meet their baby, so I hung in there, with my fingernails, lol.
My pastor showed up not long after that, which helped to take my mind off the itching a bit, until I realized that I was pretty sure my lips were swelling and my palms had also started to itch and swell. But I didn't want to bring any of that to anyone's attention. As soon as the nurse came in to take the antibiotic down, I told her how I was feeling and she said that yes, I was indeed now also allergic to that antibiotic. Glad it didn't get any worse than it did, but at least I was in the hospital!
So, we were moving on. It was now about 8am and we were on track to start my pitocin and my dr was scheduled to be there at 10:30 to break my water. Great! Well, in walks the nurse and she tells me that it turns out that Vancomycin doesn't "cover" Group B Strep, so we now had to start all over, with another antibiotic, which needed to run for four hours! Ugghh! I was so angry and frustrated, but not as much as Phil. But I resolved myself to being at their mercy and having to do what I had to do, so off we went with yet another antibiotic, and we were all just praying that I wouldn't be allergic to that one. The nurse came in and checked on me every 5 minutes and thankfully it went smoothly and there was no allergic reaction!
My doctor actually showed up early to break my water, at 9:30am, to find out all that had gone on. She was very apologetic and said she'd be back at noon to break my water and that we'd go from there. So.......four hours of antibiotic in, pitocin started, contractions started but tolerable, and noon rolls around....no doctor, 1pm- no doctor, 2pm- no doctor, finally at 2:30pm she shows up and breaks my water. I again was frustrated, but what good is that going to do, so I got over it.
I got my epidural at 3pm and I was 6 cm. At about 4pm I started having nausea and they gave me some Zofran, but I don't think it helped too much. I spend the next 2 hrs with my eyes closed and praying that I would not throw up!! By 5pm I was 10 cm and they started getting everything all set up for delivery, while they waited for a bit of the cervix to thin out, or something like that. When instructed, I pushed 2 times and he was born!!
And he is just perfect! He doesn't have one blemish or birth mark. His hair looks to be light brown and he has blue eyes. We all think he looks a lot like Chase when he was a baby.
Coming up- firsts: paci and bath.
9 comments:
Oh Kristen! I'm so glad you got to post! He's so sweet and looks just like CHASE!
We have that same carseat and stroller:)
I hope you know how lucky you are to have had such a wonderful birth experience. I mean, aside from the waiting and horrible allergy:) I just mean that it's so wonderful that you had him vaginally and with minimal involvement:) I regret I couldn't do that so much!
Enjoy your kiddos! I think that is so crazy you and Juju have such severe allergies to those meds! Poor you!
Good grief! You look great in the hospital shots! How did you manage that???
I'm so glad he is here and you guys are all together at home. What fun!
Look at me!! I'm checking out your blog!! Can you believe it?! I'm so glad you all are doing well. I'll go ahead and start praying for NO ear infections!! I can't get over how much JuJu looks like you!! They're all gorgeous, sweet Kristen!! I miss you and I love you!!
Wow "Aunt" Lauran, No, I can't believe that you are checking my blog! Thanks for stopping by. :) Now don't you need to plan that trip to Memphis?!!
Lauren- well, I did get up at 3am and shower, do my hair and make-up. By the time I finally had him, I needed all the help I could get- almost 15 hrs later!
Brenda-yes, you are right, I do have easy labors and I am so blessed for that. That is why I tell Phil (after each child is born) that we need more kids- my body was meant for this! And yes, those medicine allergies are crazy! I got my first one while I was nursing JuJu last year, so I have to think that that, in turn, led to her allergic reaction later that year, but who knows.
Congratulations! He is adorable and Parker is a great name. We will have to get PJ and Parker together on play dates down the road. You have a beautiful family and thank you for sharing. Take care, Jill
He is so ity-bity. I wish I could see him in person
Congratulations kristen! Your family is beautiful and Parker is precious. I am glad everything went well! Thanks for sharing!
Love the pictures - and all of your kids of course. Thanks for the updating your blog! Parker is beautiful and Chase's teachers told me he said a special prayer for you on Wed.
He's absolutely precious! I'm so happy for your family - I'm quite impressed with how religous Chase and Julianna are - how sweet - reading their little Bibles to their new brother!
Post a Comment